Let the excitement begin. I read on ESPN.com today the 100 reasons to be excited for the MLB playoffs, and as a Reds fan, I liked what I saw.
Reason #11: “The Reds are back in the postseason. For those of us who lost our baseball virginity to the Big Red Machine in the mid-’70s, it feels right to have October baseball in Cincinnati.” I couldn’t have said it better myself, ESPN.
And the rest of the reasons pertaining to the beloved Big Red Machine:
12. “Joey Votto. If you don’t like Joey Votto, you must hate Canada.”
13. “Aroldis Chapman firing 104 mph fastballs out of the Cincinnati bullpen. It will be interesting to see how Dusty Baker uses him. He’s pitched more than one inning in just two of his 15 big league appearances (four outs each time), but Chapman certainly could go longer (he began the season in the minors as a starter). If Chapman gets on a strikeout roll, would Baker be wise to let him go longer?”
14. “The chance that the Cincinnati Board of Health will crash a Reds victory celebration for violating the state’s smoking laws and arrest Jonny Gomes for lighting up a cigar.”
15. “The possibility of Pete Rose throwing out a first pitch in Cincinnati. C’mon, Bud, let it happen. OK, if not Pete, then at least Todd Benzinger.”
52. “Dusty Baker. The Reds’ skipper has been much-maligned throughout his 17-year career but he’s won more than he’s lost and he’s suffered through three absolutely heartbreaking defeats as manager (1993 NL West, 2002 World Series, 2003 NLCS). A championship for Dusty would be a happy ending to an underappreciated career.”
90. “A potential Reds-Yankees World Series, which not only would be a 1976 rematch (the Big Red Machine in a sweep), but present the possibility of this happening again.”
95. “The Reds winning for Dusty and a great baseball city.”
In my opinion, these are the best reasons on the list… but if you’re not a Reds fan I’m guessing you disagree. Don’t worry the others are pretty good too. Check out the rest of the article here.